What is the International Sea Cadet Association?
The International Sea Cadet Association, referred to as the ISCA, is a voluntary association of independent Sea Cadet Corps or corresponding organizations, committed to common concepts and goals, that wish to share ideas and information, and, to the best of their ability engage in cadet exchanges and to provide mutual support in order to promote the benefits of sea cadet training worldwide.
What is a Sea Cadet Corps?
A Sea Cadet Corps or corresponding organization is a voluntary, nonpolitical and nonmilitant youth organization, with membership unrestricted by race, sex, philosophical or religious convictions, which offers practical and theoretical training in nautical and maritime subjects within the context based on naval traditions.
What are the aims of ISCA?
Although member organizations may define their own individual aims and objectives, they agree to adhere in spirit and practices to the following:
- To encourage young people towards high personal standards, teamwork and a sense of responsibility to the community through the medium of disciplined nautical training and development of leadership qualities.
- To develop in young people an appreciation of the importance of the sea to international commerce, defense and the protection of the environment
What are the objectives of ISCA
- Promote international and intercultural understanding, goodwill and friendship among young people who have an interest in nautical activities;
- Promote the exchange of sea cadets between member organizations;
- Provide a forum for the exchange of information and best practices with member organizations about youth exchanges;
- Encourage the formation of organizations based on the sea cadet concept worldwide, promote their joining the ISCA, and resist membership by militant or politically motivated groups;
- Provide member organizations with nonmonetary support for fundraising for youth exchangerelated activities;
- Provide a platform from which the image and ethos of the international sea cadet movement can be promoted worldwide.